Did you now that in Victoria the business of Pre Purchase Building Inspections is unregulated and as such not many so called building inspectors are VBA Registered Building Practioners as they are not required to be -Building Inspections Dandenong reports are essential.
They may be members of the Master Builders or HIA but that’s not important as any trades person can become a member, not difficult.
When you engaged a house inspections inspector to conduct your building inspection did you ask him if he’s a VBA Registered Building Practioner ?
Well are you surprised that 1 out or 50 people would ask that question as not many people are aware that the industry is unregulated.
There are many great building inspection firms in Melbourne but how do you now whos genuine and is a Registered Practioner or Registered Builder
Ask to see there credentials before employing them, don’t take there word as many pre purchase inspectors are liars and only care about the money
How many reviews on there sites are genuine, we don’t now the answer ,its a problem.
Most building inspection inspectors conduct the most popular inspection service which is the Pre Purchase Building Pest Inspection.
We should not call it a pest we should call it Pre Purchase Building Termite Inspection as we are looking for termites not spiders.
Your future home may look great from the outside and even when you start looking internally going from room to room everything looks fantastic with no Problems or defects evident.
Generally most real estate inspection firms allow only half an hour for you to peruse the property which is not enough, you may be able to go again but you always ask yourself the question when you get home did the house have fly screens on the windows or do all the air conditioners work and when were they last serviced?
We recently inspected a property in a Melbourne suburb called Berwick which is approx. 37kms out of CBD Melbourne and is very attractive to young family’s and has a population of approx. 47,000 people.
Our client was the father of the owners daughter and he called us to conduct a property building inspection of there property as he was concerned about certain aspects of the house in particular the floors and the walls.
His daughter and husband had bought the property approx. 12 months ago without conducting a building inspection as they were being pressured by the real estate agent to buy as he had another client that was going to sign the contract which was unconditional
They needed to act fast if they wanted the property said the real estate agent
who are more concerned about there commission than the buyer or there rights.
The floors of the property were out of level by approx. 35mm in sections and there was excessive bounce to floor boards to bedroom/living room floors.
The walls in the entry and living room had vertical cracks of 15mm which indicated to me that there was a problem with the footings and may have issues with drainage.
During our inspection of the sub floor we discovered that the majority of the timber stumps were rotten at the base and there were a few stumps where the bearers were suspended and not sitting on the stumps as is required.
This was a structural defect issue and was not safe in its current state and the client was advised as a matter of urgency to contact a re blocker to rectify before allowing his children and grandkids back into the property .
The owners did not have the funds to rectify the issues that were found as the rectification costs were in the excess of $22,000 which included the walls that required underpinning.
The father organised the rectification works and paid the amounts required as his children did not have the funds.
This could have been alleviated if only they had conducted a Pre Purchase Property Inspection which would have advised them of the property condition and the existence of defects and cost to rectify the defects.
You can use this list to easy identify and inspect areas of property
Check off those items that are in good condition and make notes about those that are not. (Note that this list describes an ideal house, but in our experience no house is perfect – not even brand new ones!!)
This list below is only some of the items we inspect for a full list contact House-Inspections
There are over 1000 items of a property that are inspected below are some of the areas and items that are inspected fort any defects.
- Proper grading of site water not going to foundations, drainage away from house
- No evidence of blocked drains
- Trees and walkways in good condition
- No branches or bushes touching house or overhanging the roof
- Exterior structures (fences, sheds, decks, retaining walls, detached garages) in good condition, no evidence of termite damage or rot to any timbers
- Railings on stairs and decks are adequate and secure with no movement
- Driveways, sidewalks, patios, landings in good condition, and falling away from property
- Down pipes drainage directed away from the house
- Ridge and fascia board lines straight and level
- Sides of house appear straight, not bowed or sagging
- Window and door frames appear square (especially bowed windows)
- Visible foundation in good condition – appears straight, plumb, with no significant cracking to any areas
- Masonry brickwork in good condition, no cracks evident
- lintels OK with no rust visible
- Exterior surfaces such as Windows, Doors and Wood Trim are ok with no rot
- No gaps between walls and window junctions
- No broken glass panes or damaged screens
- Flashing to windows OK
- No evidence of broken tiles or rust to metal decks
- No debris into gutters
- Valleys and flashings ok
- Roof line level with no dips
- Ridge capping ok
- Soffits and fascia’s not showing any signs of rot to timber.
- No plumbing penetrations through brickwork that have not been sealed
- No rust to Gutters, are they secured with no sagging or evidence of ponding.
- Insulation ok to internal roof joists, any sisalation to tiles
- Floors, walls and ceilings appear straight and plumb
- No stains on floors, walls or ceilings
- Flooring/tiling in good condition
- No cracks to walls or ceilings
- Windows and exterior doors operate easily and latch properly, no broken glass, no sashes painted shut, no decay; windows and doors have weather-stripping,
- Interior doors operate easily and latch properly, no damage or decay, locks working as intended
- Paint, wall covering, and wall panels in good condition with no termite or borer damage
- Light switches operating as intended
- Heating and cooling units working
- Exhaust fans in good working order
- Stoves and cook tops working as intended
- Dishwasher working ok, draining ok
- No leaks below cabinets in bathrooms,laundry,kitchen
- No water hammer with adequate water pressure
- Cabinets in good working order
- Sinks bathtubs and showers drain as intended
- No sign of rusting to metal laundry cabinets
- Toilets operation ok,no blockages noted
- Toilet secured as required and caulked
- All caulking to tile junctions ok with no voids
- Garage door opening and closing as intended, evidence of motor
- Evidence of moisture internally or in roof space and sub floor
Stumps in sub floor ok, no rot at base
Bearers and floor joists ok no termite damage
Soil not damp, no debris to sub floor
Rafter and ceiling joist ok ,no defects noted
No termite damage to any structural timbers