BUILDING AND PEST INSPECTIONS
Did you know that termites can actually wreck entire rooms and you may need to spend several thousand dollars repairing or replacing entire rooms?
Some people have reported their bills ranging from a few thousand dollars, right through to the tens of thousands of dollars. When you get a building and pest inspection, you’ll be able to reduce the risk of termites and pests spreading in your home and will be able to fumigate before they become a major issue.
The sooner pests are dealt with, the easier it will be to keep them under control, and you’ll be able to prevent further infestations and save yourself hassle and increased costs.
If your home does have termites and they are left in your home, you could find yourself needing to spend a lot of money dealing with the issue. There is the cost of removing the termites, and there is also the future cost. Homes can lose value if termites are found.
When you do sell your home, it could cost you at least $50,000 in the resale value. Potentially, people may lose all interest in buying your home, which means you’re stuck with a home that you can’t sell, and that will end up costing you money. This said, with property prices the way they are in Melbourne, the impact may be mitigated. A building and pest inspection can help you when buying a property for the very reason above.
On the flipside, if you’re a buyer, and termites are found, you’ll have bargaining power and will be able to negotiate the price of the property down, if you still wish to purchase it.
Aside from losing interest when you resell your property, if you don’t have regular pest and building inspections and your building gets infested, you could find that you constantly need to repaint the walls, which can be expensive and frustrating due to the time and effort involved.
Let’s think about it, if you’re living in a home and it has termites requiring you to knock a room down, you may find that you can’t even live in it for a few weeks or a few months, costing you the cost of the building repair/renovations, plus the cost of any temporary accommodation.
It’s much better to have a small inconvenience and expense of a building and pest inspection than deal with a larger problem later that’s much harder to deal with.
WHAT DO WE INSPECTORS CHECK
You can use this list to easy identify and inspect areas of property
Check off those items that are in good condition and make notes about those that are not. (Note that this list describes an ideal house, but in our experience no house is perfect – not even brand new ones!!)
This list below is only some of the items we inspect for a full list contact House-Inspections
There are over 1000 items of a property that are inspected below are some of the areas and items that are inspected fort any defects.
- Proper grading of site water not going to foundations, drainage away from house
- No evidence of blocked drains
- Trees and walkways in good condition
- No branches or bushes touching house or overhanging the roof
- Exterior structures (fences, sheds, decks, retaining walls, detached garages) in good condition, no evidence of termite damage or rot to any timbers
- Railings on stairs and decks are adequate and secure with no movement
- Driveways, sidewalks, patios, landings in good condition, and falling away from property
- Down pipes drainage directed away from the house
- Ridge and fascia board lines straight and level
- Sides of house appear straight, not bowed or sagging
- Window and door frames appear square (especially bowed windows)
- Visible foundation in good condition – appears straight, plumb, with no significant cracking to any areas
- Masonry brickwork in good condition,no cracks evident
- lintels OK with no rust visible
- Exterior surfaces such as Windows, Doors and Wood Trim are ok with no rot
- No gaps between walls and window juctions
- No broken glass panes or damaged screens
- Flashing to windows OK
- No evidence of broken tiles or rust to metal decks
- No debris into gutters
- Valleys and flashings ok
- Roof line level with no dips
- Ridge capping ok
- Soffits and fascias not showing any signs of rot to timber.
- No plumbing penetrations through brickwork that have not been sealed
- No rust to Gutters, are they secured with no sagging or evidence of ponding.
- Insulation ok to internal roof joists, any sisalation to tiles
- Floors, walls and ceilings appear straight and plumb
- No stains on floors, walls or ceilings
- Flooring/tiling in good condition
- No cracks to walls or ceilings
- Windows and exterior doors operate easily and latch properly, no broken glass, no sashes painted shut, no decay; windows and doors have weather-stripping,
- Interior doors operate easily and latch properly, no damage or decay, locks working as intended
- Paint, wall covering, and wall panels in good condition with no termite or borer damage
- Light switches operating as intended
- Heating and cooling units working
- Exhaust fans in good working order
- Stoves and cook tops working as intended
- Dishwasher working ok, draining ok
- No leaks below cabinets in bathrooms,laundry,kitchen
- No water hammer with adequate water pressure
- Cabinets in good working order
- Sinks bathtubs and showers drain as intended
- No sign of rusting to metal laundry cabinets
- Toilets operation ok,no blockages noted
- Toilet secured as required and caulked
- All caulking to tile junctions ok with no voids
- Garage door opening and closing as intended, evidence of motor
- Evidence of moisture internally or in roof space and sub floor
- Foundations ok
- Stumps in sub floor ok ,no rot at base
- Bearers and floor joists ok no termite damage
- Soil not damp, no debris to sub floor
- Roof space
- Rafter and ceiling joist ok ,no defects noted
- No termite damage to any structural timbers
For more information press here
House-Inspections are VBA Registered Building Practitioners with many years of experience conducting Building Inspections throughout all Melbourne suburbs,press here for full list