CRACKS IN BRICKWORK MELBOURNE
One of the most common building defects which can easily go undetected is cracks in brickwork.
Our building inspectors are experts in detecting any cracks during pre-purchase building inspections.
Where an inspector’s expertise is vital is in determining whether a crack is minor and part of an ageing house, or is instead a reason to be alarmed.
Melbourne building inspections reports will include all cracks and structural defects
- Exposure to harsh environmental conditions (e.g. drought or flood)
- Poor quality workmanship when the building was constructed
- Signs of damage
- Age of the building
- The building’s geographic location
- Different soil types
- Other signs of building defects such as jamming doors and windows, uneven floors, the sub floor structures condition, and more.
- Vertical cracking
- Horizontal cracking
- Stepped cracking
- Diagonal cracking
- Cogged cracking
Using these factors alongside measuring the cracks in the bricks make it possible to determine a rating of the severity of the cracking, and accurately attribute the cause of the cracking in most cases.
Frequent causes of brickwork cracking are:
- Sinking foundations usually caused by environmental factors which have caused the building to sink over time, and caused it to pull away from the rest of the building.
- Over time, the force of built-up soil, tree roots, and water movement can affect a retaining wall and cause brickwork to crack.
Our building inspectors provide a severity assessment which considers the location, number, length, and width of the cracks to identify if cosmetic, minor.
Remedial work is needed or if it is more serious, a structural engineering solution would be needed to determine an appropriate course of action to prevent further cracking, and offer a permanent fix.
A building inspection which focuses on cracks in brickwork will help to put your mind at ease and stop you stressing.
A qualified building inspector will carry out a thorough inspection and provide you with a written and insured report which details the type of cracking found, the cause of the cracks, and also some recommendations about how to repair the cracking.